24th Aug 2020
Classic cape tomato bredie
The perfumed fragrance of this humble Cape favourite will seduce you into second helpings. Don’t substitute canned tomatoes for fresh ones - the magic lies in using fresh. Use a food processor to help with the dicing, if you want to skip some labour.
45 ml olive oil
1,5 kg lamb/mutton rib chunks (or neck chops) salt & pepper
2 onions, chopped
1/2 teaspoon whole peppercorns
1/2 teaspoon whole cloves
4 whole cardamom seeds
2 cinnamon sticks
2 cloves garlic, finely grated
a knob of fresh ginger, finely grated (1-2 tablespoons) 1,2 kg ripe tomatoes, diced
5 ml sugar
4 medium potatoes, diced (optional)
cooked jasmin/basmati rice, to serve
- In a large heavy based pot over medium-high heat, add the oil. Add the rib chunks and fry on the fatty side until brown, seasoning with salt & pepper as you go (fry in batches if necessary). Remove the meat and turn down the heat to low.
- Add the onions, cloves, cardamom & cinnamon sticks. Fry until translucent and soft, stirring often. Add the garlic and ginger and fry for another minute.
- Add the tomatoes and sugar (and potatoes, optionally), and stir to loosen any sticky bits on the bottom of the pot. Bring the mixture to a simmer, then place the meat back into the pot and stir.
- Cover with a lid, then simmer over low heat for about 1,5 hours or until the meat is very soft and falls from the bone. You can remove the bones with tongs at this point, if you want to. Taste and add more salt & pepper if necessary.
- Serve hot with fluffy warm rice.
Buy Our Wines
Appealing aromas of granadilla and grapefruit zest with a tinge of peach blossom.Read More
Subtle whiffs of orange blossom, lime zest, vanilla cream and a light biscuit note.Read More
Delicate orange blossom oral notes overlay more distinctive creamy citrus peel on the nose.Read More
Van Lill & Visser
Enticing stone fruit aromas - nectarine and peach with a tinge of honeyed almonds.Read More
Complex nose with apricot and nectarine brushed by a dusty gravel element and just a hint of floral perfumeRead More
Bright citrus aromas of lime and lemon underpin nectarine abundance.Read More
Parel Vallei Farmstead
Attractive cherry fruitcake and black berry aromas tinged with a faint hint of choc mint.Read More
Aromatics of Fynbos with herbaceous whiffs, extending to plum and dark fruit characteristics on the nose. Hints of lavender are evident too.Read More
Appealing spicy dark fruit: black cherry with cedar and a hint of tobacco.Read More
Appealing aromas of spicy fruitcake, black cherry, blackcurrant and cedar.Read More
Bold raspberry and youngberry aromas which mingle with a deeper leather nuance.Read More
Delicate hints of rose petal with bright red berries and persistent palate.Read More