19th Sep 2022
Vetkoek fritters with biltong & herb dip
This easy biltong and herb dip is packed with flavour and very easy to make. It also doubles as a fabulous paté, so you can also serve it with fresh bread if you prefer that to vetkoek!
INGREDIENTS FOR THE DIP:
100 g (about ¾ cup) fine biltong powder
250 g (1 cup) sour cream
60 ml (4 tablespoons) mayonnaise
5 ml wholegrain mustard (or Dijon)
5 ml (1 teaspoon) finely grated lemon rind
10 ml (2 teaspoons) fresh lemon juice
a handful chives and/or Italian parsley, finely chopped
INGREDIENTS FOR THE VETKOEK FRITTERS:
1,5 cups (210 g) white bread flour
1 ½ teaspoons (7,5 ml) baking powder
½ teaspoons (2,5 ml) salt
1 teaspoon (5 ml) mild or hot curry powder
200 ml milk
1 XL egg
Vegetable oil, for frying
PREPARE THE DIP:
1. Mix all the ingredients together using a spatula or spoon (you can also use electric beaters).
2. Transfer to a small bowl and neaten the surface. Cover and chill in the fridge until ready to serve.
PREPARE THE FRITTERS:
3. In a medium size mixing bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, salt, curry powder, milk and egg – do not overmix, you want it to just come together.
4. Heat about 5cm deep oil in a heavy based pot over medium heat, then drop heaped teaspoons of the batter into the hot oil (test some to see if it sizzles).
5. Fry in batches until golden on both sides then remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
6. Serve hot with the biltong dip on the side.
Buy Our Wines
Appealing aromas of granadilla and grapefruit zest with a tinge of peach blossom.Read More
Subtle whiffs of orange blossom, lime zest, vanilla cream and a light biscuit note.Read More
Delicate orange blossom oral notes overlay more distinctive creamy citrus peel on the nose.Read More
Van Lill & Visser
Enticing stone fruit aromas - nectarine and peach with a tinge of honeyed almonds.Read More
Complex nose with apricot and nectarine brushed by a dusty gravel element and just a hint of floral perfumeRead More
Bright citrus aromas of lime and lemon underpin nectarine abundance.Read More
Parel Vallei Farmstead
Attractive cherry fruitcake and black berry aromas tinged with a faint hint of choc mint.Read More
Aromatics of Fynbos with herbaceous whiffs, extending to plum and dark fruit characteristics on the nose. Hints of lavender are evident too.Read More
Appealing spicy dark fruit: black cherry with cedar and a hint of tobacco.Read More
Appealing aromas of spicy fruitcake, black cherry, blackcurrant and cedar.Read More
Bold raspberry and youngberry aromas which mingle with a deeper leather nuance.Read More
Delicate hints of rose petal with bright red berries and persistent palate.Read More